FAQ Orchiectomy | Dr. Harold Reed | Miami

Dr. Reed,  Researching having an MTF orchiectomy I am a transgender woman, 50 years of age, and would like to reduce my estrogen intake and well as discontinuing spironolactone (Aldactone).  Any recommendations? Geena

Dear Geena,

As a rule after an orchiectomy you can reduce your estrogen intake by a third, and of course stop the spironolactone.  This is especially a good idea in that the National Health Institute is not recommended estrogens for post-menopausal women owing to the higher incidence of coagulopathy.

We require 2 letters of therapy clearance written by therapists with a doctoral degree (or cosigned by a therapist with a doctoral degree).  This is not to say you need therapy as the longer you have been living as a female without any serious adjustment problems the less likely you need a course of therapy.

In that you are over 50 you will also need a letter of medical clearance with reference to an EKG and some blood tests which include a CBC, platelet count, PT and PTT.  Please look at before and after male to female sex change photos on our web-site


Harold M. Reed, M.D.
The Reed Centre for Transgender Surgery | Miami

Leave a reply