Need transsexual orchiectomy, what is the process and what paper work is required?


Dear Dr. Reed,  Have been living as a woman for about 4 years and would like an orchiectomy.  How do I prepare, what paperwork do your require?


De4ar Marta,

In that an orchiectomy is an irreversible procedure, in our practice we require 2 letters of therapy clearance.  One letter needs to be written by a therapist with a doctoral degree (could be a PhD or MD if a psychiatrist).  The letters of therapy clearance should be written on  prof4esional letterhead.  The therapist should introduce themselves by way of their education background and societal memberships.  Your psycho-dynamic history is reviewed and usually will include first ideation, how long you have been living in your chosen gender, that you are mentally stable and the likelihood of remorse is very minimal, and that the therapists recommend you as a candidate for orchiectomy.  You will also need to initiate a consultation with our office over the phone unless you live nearby and are seen at the office.  I will be reviewing your medical history (allergies, past surgery, etc, obtaining  height and weight, etc).  If you are over 40 or on cardiac meds or a diabetic you will need a letter of medical clearance with reference to an EKG. Additionally we need coagulation blood tests such as a CBC with platelet count, PT and PTT (or APTT).

Plan on staying at one of 2 nearby hotels if out of town for 2 days after surgery, and being seen the day before.


Harold M. Reed, M.,D.
The Reed Centre for Transgender Surgery – Miami


Leave a reply