Sex change male to female

Dr. Reed,

I am in active military and considering male to female sex change while off for leave.  Does this make any sense to you?


Dear Janice,

I know the military has now one VAH center which proclaims it will follow transgender patients, but as to the logistics of changing while you are on duty, this could be best answered by (perhaps) the commanding officer of your post or the Department of Defense.  If you do have surgery while in the service, would think that reassignment to a new post where you are not known would make more sense.  What do you think?

The Department of Veterans Affairs opened its first health care clinic dedicated to transgender service members

Housed within the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center in Ohio, the clinic will offer primary care services alongside hormonal therapy and mental health care. The VA center, which provides care to more than 112,000 people, is currently treating around two dozen transgender patients.

Please visit our web-site

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for your service.

Harold M. Reed, M.D.
US Army retired, Medical Corps
The Reed Centre for Transgender Surgery – Miami



Leave a reply