Dr, Reed, Rena again. Is there any specific information that needs to be included in my letter of clearance for transgender vaginoplasty from the therapist?
Dear Rena, While the therapists included on the list understand the essentials here is further guidance…
We are follow the guidelines of WPATH, World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Please remember these are guidelines from which reasonable exception can be made,.
For orchiectomy or feminizing vaginoplasty which is irreversible surgery, we need 2 letters of therapy clearance.
1. The letter should be written on a professional letterhead.
2. In the first paragraph, the therapist should introduce himself/herself and provide some background about his/her training, etc.
3. That the likelihood of patient remorse or regret having had surgery is extremely low or remote.
4. That the patient is mentally/emotionally stable
5. Towards the end of the letter the therapist has to say (words to this effect) I recommend, I endorse, I approve, Katelyn would be
an excellent candidate for feminzing vaginoplasty (not intersex surgery) . Not Katelyn has a good head on her shoulders, she knows
what to do. That the procedure is medically necessary.
6. At least one letter has to be written by a therapist with a doctoral degree.
7. One letter is a comprehensive letter which details your psychological background, pertinent medical history , any adjustment problems, etc.
8. The second letter is a letter of concurrence (more simple).
9. Lastly, the therapist or psychiatrist has to say, “I would welcome a call from Dr. Reed, if there are any questions or concerns.”
If you have difficulty obtaining such letters we have a list of therapists in Florida all with doctoral degrees, and you can confer with them and check out fees, etc. They do the evaluation and write such letters routinely.
Hoping this is of help. Please feel free to call me at any time if I may be of more service.
Have a sunny weekend,
Harold M. Reed, M.D.
The Reed Centre for Transgender Surgery